Establishing Home Ownership & Revitalizing Low Income Communities in Illinois Since 2006

Frequently Asked Questions

In this section we have set aside the most frequently asked questions to better assist you.

1. I am not a United States citizen can I still attend workshops?

Answer: Yes.  Workshops are available to anyone interested in attending.

2. I am not a resident of Illinois can I still attend workshops?

Answer: Yes. Workshops are available to anyone interested in attending.

3. Is there a cost to attend the workshops?

Answer: No.  There is no cost for individuals interested in attending workshops hosted by CLA.

4. If I have future questions is there someone to assist me?

Answer: Yes.  Contact our office 217.717.9386 and a CLA housing representative will answer any questions you may have.

5. On what days and times are the Financial and Homeownership Workshops?

Answer: On Saturdays from 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM until unless otherwise posted.

6. How do applicants of the Transitional Rental Housing Program demonstrate their ability to pay the monthly transitional rent?

Answer: Applicants gross household income must be between 30% of the median income of the given county area of interest at the time of the application.

7. I'm not sure if I am eligible to receive emergency heating and cooling assistance?

Answer:  If your household's combined income for the 30 days prior to submitting the application is at or below 150% of the federal poverty level as shown below, you may be eligible to receive heating and cooling assistance.  If you rent, and your heat and/or electric is included in the rent, your rent must be greater than 30% of your income in order to be eligible to receive assistance.

Family Size 30 Day Income Annual Income
1 $1,459 $17,508
2 $1,967 $23,604
3 $2,475 $29,700
4 $2,983 $35,796
5 $3,491 $41,892
6 $3,999 $47,988
7 $4,507 $54,084
8 $5,015 $60,180


The following documentation is required at the time of applying for emergency heating and cooling assistance:

1.  Proof of income statement

2.  Copy of Illinois driver's license or state ID

3.  Copy of disconnected utility notice

4.  Explanation concerning reason for hardship